Monday, July 05, 2010

So, How Did It Turn Out Already?

Having been out of town for a few days and letting the resin cure, now that I am back I can let you see how the large counter top renovation turned out:



This is such a shocking change for me, even having done the other counter tops in the kitchen over the past year.  Yes, it's taken me a year to get all of them done.  Sue me.  Anything is better than the godawful blue counters that I've been staring at for over seven years.

However, it's not all a bed of roses.  We decided to put in a new kitchen sink, replacing the nasty old white one that would never get fully clean.  When we did, we found that the new sink wouldn't quite fit in the old one's place.   The resin had been curing for four days at the time.  It gets hard cured after about seven days.  We cut the hole wider and then found that a very small section had released from the counter top.  It looks like this:

2010_07050004


See the white spot?  It's about half an inch thick and four inches long.  This is the first time that something like this has happened.  We think that when we cut the counter, the heat from the saw caused it.  It's now sealed from beneath the sink, so no water can seep into it.  Since the whole counter needs another coating of the resin, I'm going to go over this spot again with craft paints to disguise the imperfection, then do the coating of the resin.  It won't be this week, but it will happen soon.


Just thought I'd share this with you guys.  No project ever turns out perfectly for me and those doing diy/crafty type projects like are probably already familiar with some of the stuff that can go wrong.  But, I'm not going to let this get in the way of my new pretty kitchen counters!  Oh, no.  I'll just fix it (or at least disguise it) and move along.  Perfection is for the weak of heart.  I'm more into building character.  :)
blog comments powered by Disqus