Those stripes contain seafoam green, mauve, white and tan. The people who lived in this house before us had hideous taste in decorating. One wall was filled with this wall paper, the other three walls were painted a mauve/brown. I've hated it since we moved in, but it was better than some of the other rooms, so I left it for a while.
So, since DIY is good for depression and anger, I tackled this project with gusto on Saturday. First, I took a paint can lid that came from some paint that my parents had sitting around of a gorgeous gold that has green undertones. It's amazing how this paint looks depending on the light in the room. It really changes colors and has great depth to it.
The guy at Home Depot said, "Sure we can match that". Well, the first batch that he "matched" wasn't even close to what I wanted. It came out a more bamboo green. Someone searching the oops bin is going to love it. Me? Not so much. Another guy came up to help and they finally got it right.
You know what? It looks awful next to the old paint:
It's just not a good combo. Yuck!
Please excuse all the grainy pics today. My camera battery died and I'm using my Ipod Touch and it's camera sucks.
Here's what the main wall looks like now:
Way better. My couch, rug and accessories are much happier with this gold color than the nasty pinky brown.
This one wall took me a long time to paint (working alone). It's 23.5 feet long and 8' high! It's a seriously long living room. It took one coat of tinted primer and two coats of paint to hide all those damn stripes, but hidden they are!
Unfortunately, now the wall looks bare. I think I'm used to seeing really busy stuff on the wall and I'm just not used to it. It's going to take some thought to figure out how I'm going to fill some of that bare space.
I still have three walls to paint, but they won't take quite as long nor quite as many coats of paint and primer. I can't wait to see it finished!