Friday, February 13, 2009

Rogue for Dummies?

Good Morning! I think that this may officially be the earliest I've ever managed to post before. It's going to be a crazy day for me, so I thought I'd get a head start. I've got to be in two different schools at almost the same time today in order to make both my boys feel special. I'll probably end up a stark raving lunatic instead.

Anywho, I finished up the front and back shoulders of the Rogue Pullover. I put it on Endora so you could actually see the progress this time. If only my stomach were as flat as hers though. I hope I'm not disappointed when I put this on. All of my measurements match Endora's except for the tummy. I'm blaming my kids and cookies for that. Unless Lipo and scalpels are involved, it'll never be the same even if I starve myself. But hey, that's what girdles/Spanx are for, right?

This would make a rockin' tank top if you just finished up the front where it is and did it in a pretty linen/cotton combo.

I still think that this is one of the toughest patterns I've come across. Not because of the cables, but because of the way in which the pattern is written. It's not a pattern for dummies. I've been lucky so far in that I've guessed the next correct step. Don't get me wrong, this is a brilliant pattern that's going to have a brilliant outcome. I think that I'm the problem here. I would prefer more basic directions I think. I also think this pattern could do with a few more steps that have the words "you should have x stitches left on the needle at this stage." Maybe I'm just a slow learner.

Anyone else having or have had difficulty reading this pattern or is it just me?

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Duplicate Stitch Is Your Friend

I have begun work on the center front of my Rogue Pullover. I'm not extremely happy with how it's turned out so far for a couple of reasons.

First, somewhere in my knitting, two knit stitches disappeared and then reappeared a couple of rows later. Don't have a clue where they went or why they returned.

Maybe one said to the other: "Let's step out for a cup of coffee for a few minutes while she completes a couple of rows, I'm tired of waiting around." The other one says "sure, let's do it, I'm running low on caffeine!"

Anyway, this is what it looked like:
See those two yellow arrows? They're pointing to the two holes that are missing the knit stitches. It may not be glaringly obvious in the photo above, but in real life, it is. So how to fix this?

Well, I'm basically a lazy person. I refuse to go back and rip out all those rows to fix this when I can cheat. Yes, I said cheat. You too, can go to the dark side occasionally when you don't want to rip. How? By duplicate stitching.

Duplicate stitching is where you duplicate a knit stitch by using a tapestry needle and yarn. Google it for directions, there's tons out there. Most of the time I've seen it used for decorative effects, not for cheating on fixing your stitches. But dang if it doesn't work for that too.

Here it is after the duplicate stitching:

Now, I don't advocate cheating on a regular basis mind you, just when the occasion warrants. Like this time when I'd have to go back a couple days worth of complicated cable creating. Is it perfect? No, but blocking it will help.

The second reason that I'm not happy is (and I don't have pics of it) there are some holes that are at the bottom of the front V. I went on Ravelry and found out that this is a common occurrence, but I just don't like it. I'll probably go back and duplicate stitch this area as well to clean it up a bit. I'll wait on that a bit before I do it. I will try and get pics of the before and after shots of that for you as well.

See? Cheating does pay occasionally, just don't tell my Eldest that I said that, okay?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Earning Cash

Slowly, but surely I am earning the cash for my future drum carder. I'm getting the fine 90/120 one. I can't decide if I'm getting the brush attachment or not. It adds about $50.00 to the total. I might just go get a wall paper brush to use instead. I bet the spouse could come up with a way to attach it for pennies.

I've been selling stuff on Ebay and on Craigslist like crazy. I've almost become obsessed with it. I've caught myself walking around the house looking for more stuff to sell. It's kinda fun.

I've been surprised at what has sold versus what hasn't. The nicer stuff has stayed home and the cheaper stuff has gone. The latest thing to be sold, a small, faded Little Tykes play cube that has been living outside, went today to a lady who owns a Doggy Day Care. Who woulda thought that a doggy daycare would use one of those? Cool thing is, I bought the cube for 2 bucks at a garage sale. I got $30 for it today. Way cool.

If anyone is interested, I'm auctioning off Paula Simmon's book Spinning and Weaving with Wool on ebay.

My Knitting Buddy

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Full Moon?

Well, I survived being sick (new meds are working fantastically) and managed not to make a fool out of myself (didn't forget any words) while singing in front of two Sunday church congregations. I didn't see anyone holding their hands over their ears, so it must not have been too bad. :)

The rest of the weekend completely, totally and horrifically sucked though and bled into yesterday. I'm blaming family madness on the full moon. It's the only explanation I've got for batshiat crazy in-law types (my spouse counts as one of those by the way.)

I have been knitting, even though it's been sporadic at best.

The Rogue Pullover is coming along well. I haven't come across any more confusing directions, yeah! I'm working on the armhole shaping, upper back and shoulders at the present. You can see a cross-section progress pic above. I love how the cables turned out on the sides. The ribbing at the bottom will disappear once I've hemmed the final piece.