Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Warning: Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

I felt like crawling under a rock this weekend.    The Eldest and his Dad went camping, so The Youngest and I took off to the lake to visit family. 

For background, The Youngest is a skinny little four year old boy.  His grandfather likes to kid around with him, talking about how "heavy" and "fat" he is.  I think my Dad forgets that children are very literal creatures and they, at that young of an age, also do not understand what the word facetious means or the definition of tact. 

Back to the weekend.  We met up with some of my first cousins and their children.  One of those kids and her Mom are a bit heavy set.  The girl has just turned fifteen and still has some of the baby fat on her that will disappear in a couple of years.  She is going to be gorgeous too.  Her Mom has diabetes and several other health problems.  Neither one are what I would call obese by any means. 

Can ya guess what happened?  The Youngest, trying to be funny, looked at the girl and said, "You don't have to be so fat."  He had absolutely no clue what he was saying.  I, on the other hand, did.  So did the girl and her Mom.  I could have crawled under a very tiny rock at that point and been content to live there for the rest of my natural born days.  I could also have knocked my Dad into next week.

A warning for those who have babies or at some point expect to have a baby:

A child may be cute as a button, but beware, the child's mouth is a loaded gun that can and will go off at the most inconvenient of times.  You, the parent, just think you're in control.  There is no controlling a young child's mouth.  You never, ever, know what will come out of it. 

Anyone else have something like this happen to them?
blog comments powered by Disqus