Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday DIY

I'm thinking that my husband should just probably start avoiding coming home on Fridays.  It seems to be the day that I tend to get the diy bug the most often.  It certainly is the day he is becoming to dread the most.

Picture this:
Me: (calling his work)  Um, where do you keep your (insert tool of your choice here)?
Him: What are you doing and why do you need (the tool inserted above)?

This is the point where you can hear the uneasiness in his voice begin.

Me: Oh, no reason.
Him: No, really, what are you doing now and what are you doing it too?


This is what's been bugging me lately:

2010_07230016


This is a prime example of why some people stuff cats and rocks in burlap bags and toss them into the nearest body of water.  I love my cats dearly, but look what they've done to my stairs!  Two cats in cahoots tore humongous holes into the carpet on the stairs.  It was a slow process and it took five years, but by golly, they finally did it.


2010_07230017


I did some investigation and there's some good news.  The first four steps where the damage is, look like the pic above and are all hard wood and are quite beautiful.

So here's the plan.  I'm going to rip off all the carpet on the bottom four steps and toss it.  Then I'm going to carefully pull up the next step and see how the steps look there.  If they look like the pic above, it's going to be rip city.  If not, I'll carefully tack it down and ignore it for a while and just refinish the bottom four steps.

So here's where I stand right now:

2010_07230018

I have a buddy helping me.  I'm dog sitting my folks' dog while they're out of town.  Boy, let me tell ya, she sure is a lot of help.  I can't tell you how many times I tripped over her while doing my investigations.

Have a great weekend!
blog comments powered by Disqus