Monday, July 26, 2010

Uncovering The Stairs

On Friday afternoon I started pulling up the carpet on my stairs.  The first four stairs are done, nine more to go.  My husband complained about how slow I was in uncovering the stairs.  "Why don't you just rip them all out at once?" he asked.

Well, it's because of all the little feet in this house that use those stairs.  The boys need to get to their bedroom and playroom and there are cats that travel those stairs as well.  Of course, it'd only be justice served if the cats stepped on something sharp since it's their fault that I'm have to do the stair renovation anyway.

When I ripped up the carpet on each stair, I found a bazillion staples besides the strip of carpet tacks.  The strip came up easily, the staples?  Not so much.  I had to pull those bad boys out one by one.  Once every thing was off the step I lightly sanded down any rough spots, vacuumed the mess up and started on the next stair.  I'd say that it took about an hours worth of work to get one stair completely uncovered and cleaned.

I now have a big blister on the juicy part of my right hand.  Thank God I was wearing work gloves or there's no telling where else I'd have blisters. 

But it's all been so worth it.  Just look at the wood underneath the carpet:

2010_07240006


From what I've been able to see, it looks like the whole staircase looks like this.  With such beautiful wood there, why would anyone want to cover it all up?  Now it's on to the next one!

By the way, posting may be spotty to non existent this week.  The boys and I are headed off to the lake again.  School starts in about two weeks here and we're trying to fit in as much swimming time as possible.  See ya!
blog comments powered by Disqus