Monday, July 19, 2010

Which Gadget Should I Get?

I've been considering getting an e-reader lately.  I'm a self-confessed book-aholic.  Having kids, I'm frequently waiting around in car pool lines or waiting for various lessons to be over and it would be really nice to have this kind of toy.  I'm saving up all my $5 Amazon gift cards that I'm getting from Swagbucks until I have enough to finally get the reading gadget that I want. 

Here's the three things that I'm looking at, all of which can be purchased new or used (for cheaper than what the links below reflect) from Amazon:

Kindle - from Amazon.Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation  I'm not real thrilled about not being able to recharge the battery or the fact that it doesn't have expandable memory.  The next version is coming out in the fall though and hopefully they will have fixed both of these issues.  You must go through Amazon to buy books.  That is not a plus for me.

Nook - from Barnes & Noble - Barnes & Noble NOOK ebook reader (WiFi + 3G) has a rechargeable battery and memory card slots.  Also has two games.  Also has a new version coming out soon.  Can read books for free from their stores.  Also, you can share books.  Another plus for me is that you can buy books from other sources as long as they are in the epub format.  Now if they would just let me respond to emails I would be all over it.

Ipod Touch - from Apple - Apple iPod touch 32 GB (3rd Generation) NEWEST MODEL you can get an app for book reading, but you can also browse the net, play games, check email, etc.  I'm not sure that I really need all that, but if I get more bang for my buck, that's the way I'll go. 

I'm not sure which of the three I should choose.  Of the two readers, I'm leaning towards the Nook.  The battery and memory cards slots alone would make it worthwhile in comparison to the Kindle I think.  I'm looking forward to the next generation of both the Kindle and the Nook to see what other goodies they'll be adding.

I'm afraid it's going to take a lot more research to decide which way I should leap.  Does anyone have any of the above and can you tell me the pros/cons of them?
blog comments powered by Disqus