Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Designing

Look-y what came in the mail today:


I joined Swaptree in order to swap some of my other craft books that I have no intention of ever re-using for some cool knitting stuff. I saw some stuff over on Ravelry that people had made using the inspiration in this book.

There's some truly wild stuff in this book. Designers do some odd things sometimes. Most of the stuff is unwearable "art", but the profiles on each of the designer/artists is pretty cool.

I can understand how the designers that make patterns and sell them either in books/magazines or self publishing make a living, but i can't for the life of me understand how the so-called artists do it. If I made some of the stuff in here and called it art, I'd be a laughing stock inside 20 minutes. really. There's no way people would "cotton" to this kinda stuff in the community where I live. There's very few artsy folk here, mainly snobby, wealthy "old Marietta" types. No, I don't qualify as one of those, nor would I want to, except for the wealthy part - that would be nice. :)

I have been tinkering with designing. Wealth will most never come to me by designing. But I am trying! Here's a pic of what I was working on (fingerless mitts) in my spare time in SC this past weekend:


The paper in the pic is pretty washed out, but you get the intent I hope. The knit on the right is a prototype that I wasn't quite happy with. I'm working on the corrected version now, but haven't been putting a whole lot of time into knitting the past few days. Give me a few days and I'll be back in the swing of things, I promise.