Thursday, September 04, 2008

Making Tweed Yarn

Remember this colorway of roving that I blended together, the Midnight in the Garden one?

Well, I've been itching to try my hand at making a tweed yarn. So, I got out the ghetto hand cards (Dog slicker brushes) and using this tutorial from David and this tutorial from Abby, got to blending the Midnight in the Garden roving.

I had so much fun doing this. I made a bazillion rolags and took them with me to the folks' place this past weekend. I got about half of it spun up and guess what? I made tweed singles! This was so cool. I had been scared to blend the roving, scared of losing all that beautiful color. But I didn't.

The mohair disappeared, but all spread out it makes the rolag look iridescent like the film on a bubble. In the singles, it gives it a surprising sheen if held in the light a certain way. The base of the singles is now a pretty charcoal gray and there are little bits of orange, turquoise, lime green, pink and dark blue scattered throughout. When plied, I should have a pretty heathery charcoal tweed to show off.

It turned out so much better than I expected:
Click to enlarge and see the pretty singles!
Check out all the little bits of fluff in the rolag behind the bobbin. It was almost impossible to get a good pic of the rolag, this was the best I could do. It's amazing how in dull light it looks like steel wool. Looks much better here.

As for the "W" tank top, I finished the first side. As for the second, I had completed about half of it when I realized that I had made a huge honkin' mistake in it and had to frog back to the first wedge and that's where it stands now. I'm hoping that I can make some inroads on that this weekend on the really long drive we have to FLA.
Aren't the colors beautiful?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:59 PM

    Why are you coming to Florida this weekend? We have not one, not two, but THREE hurricanes in our general vicinity! For your sake, I hope you're going to the Gulf coast or the panhandle! Otherwise, get ready to say hi to Hanna, Ike and maybe even Josephine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be because my crazy cousin has decided to have her wedding in Florida during the worst of the hurricane season. We will be staying in Orlando, but the wedding is near Tampa. Wish us luck. Prayer wouldn't go amiss either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Oh, my! Well, I'm keeping a close eye on the hurricane, and it looks like your weekend should be okay. Ike is steering his pesky way through the Florida Straits and headed for the gulf. I think I've definitely wished him in that direction! I didn't want to spend my weekend boarding up the house! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete