Monday, August 04, 2008

I'm just a third rate citizen

First off, I have a post milestone. It's post number 301! Yeah!


And speaking of posts, I sort of went postal on the family yesterday. They were looking at me like I had horns growing out of my head.

Moms always seem to be the third rate citizen. All of the family comes first, then Mom. At least, that's the way it seems to me.

The hubby always has "important" things to do. The Mom? Nah, she just sits around eating bonbons and filing her nails all day right? God forbid if she wants to go to the grocery store occasionally without "baggage."

The children must always come first. They must be fed, watered, diapered, played with and put to bed (sometimes several times a night). All of this occurs over and over again ad nauseam. Then don't forget the temper tantrums, potty training, whining, schooling, etc that must occur between each of the aforementioned items.

The hubby made the mistake of going all "Woe is Me" about his lot in life while talking about how I did nothing. I work far harder at home than I ever did while I was a Manager at the Georgia Lottery. Much.

Is he on call 24/7 with his job? no. Can he leave his job when his day is done? yes. Can I? nope. Does he have to put up with whiny terrible behavior from his co-workers? Occasionally. Me? Hourly.

So. There I was, reading the riot act to the family and how things were going to be, dammit. Everything got really, really quiet and everyone's eyes were huge. I left the house at 2pm, got back around 5:30 (after having threatened to never return) and had the house to myself. Why? Because right before I left I told him if he and the kids should get hungry he could call his mother. And he did. They didn't get back 'til around 8:00pm. Pure Bliss.

I'm better today. I'll be even more better when school starts this Thursday. That'll be one down. On the 25th I'm going to be downright giddy. The Youngest will start his two year old Pre-Pre-Pre K class. Two down and 3 whole hours to myself twice a week. Ahh. It's the little things in life that count. really. :)



Today, the Youngest had his first gymnastics class. It was downright hysterical. There were 5 two year olds in the class and at any moment, one would take off like a rocket to disrupts someone else's class because what the big kids were doing looked a whole lot more fun that what they were doing. You could never really predict which one would take off when either. Too funny!
In The Ring Hanging around
Sorry for the poor pics. All I had was my cell phone and I was too far away.



Okay. I'm done venting, I'm going back to wedding shawl hell now. I'll give an update on that tomorrow. See ya!

3 comments:

  1. Oh girl you are so right about Moms coming last! I really wouldn't mind that if...at some point...like when we're sick or not just not feeling great...someone would step up and take over for a dang minute or just even just acknowledge the fact that we don't feel great. I could go on and on with ya on this one. Our job is definitely 24/7 365 days.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that you said 'ad nauseum' because in our musical this year there was a line that our director changed to 'et cetera et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseum'. I don't really remember what it was before... Hrm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 PM

    Sometimes you just have to lay it out for your family and remind them all of how much you do - so good for you!

    ReplyDelete