Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nanowrimo '09

NaNoWriMo 2009 is upon us.  For those not in the know, National Novel Writing Month begins on November 1.  The goal is to generate a 50,000 word novel.  Basically 1,666 ish words a day.  Last year I might have gotten 1,666 words total.  I failed miserably thanks to life interruptions.  Once I got a little bit behind, I felt overwhelmed at how many words that had to be done to catch up on my number, and then promptly quit.

I'm going to try again though.  If I can manage to blog four to five days a week, then perhaps I can manage to sit at my desk and write a damn story, right?  So I've signed up again, but this time I'm seeking writing buddies to keep me honest.  I've added one, Hi Angie!, and I'm seeking others.   If you're up for it, go sign up at the NaNoWriMo site and look me up.  I'm sjmercure there (and just about everywhere else except for on craftster.  I'm henri there.)

In the past when I've been writing, I've hit brick walls in several ways.  One of those is by coming up with a cool character and then not being able to come up with a story.  Another way is by outlining a story and then being too bored with it by the time the outline was done and then didn't bother to finish it.  Or, I started a story and couldn't find a good middle and end.  Plot?  What plot?  :sigh:

Two good sites that I'm going to be mining for info this year:

1.  HollyLisle.com - This is just full of great writing info. that covers just about every aspect of writing.
2.  The Snowflake Method of writing. - Great way of breaking the writing process down to it's component parts.

Oh, another issue?  Reading about how to write a novel, researching how to write a novel and then never doing it because I'm still reading and researching.  In other words, procrastination.  I'm really good at that.