Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back to Knitting

I've been plugging slowly along on Buttercup (Ravelry Link). It's very difficult to show the progress being made so far, but I am almost to the point where I begin working on the body. I've begun the lace on the front and I'm almost to the point where the body and sleeves are separated. At this point, it looks way too big, but I think (hope) it's an optical illusion caused by the raglan shaping.


I made another modification, but this time it's not anything big. There's a point in the pattern that calls for you to cast on 46 sts on a separate needle. I didn't have a separate needle free that was the correct size so here's what I did:

Instead of casting on the 46 sts on the separate needle, I continued with the pattern while skipping that section. When I got to the point of purling across the 46 sts, I did a backwards loop cast on. I did this one at a time and purled each onto the right needle before casting on for the next stitch. Similar in theory to picking up each stitch and knitting it on, which I hate to do.

This was quite tedious and I don't recommend it, but it did work. What I should have done was just find a bleeping pencil and cast on to it. It would have saved tons of time. Of course, it wouldn't have been the right size, but there ya go.


At first this pattern was going incredibly slow. Not the patterns fault, mine. I don't knit well in silence. I need something to listen to, usually a tv show. My favorite is Top Gear (UK version) but since the season has wrapped up, I've been left with nothing. I don't have cable, I have to watch over the interet. Another difficulty is that most tv shows just don't do it for me. Evidently I have the attention span of a flea and if a show doesn't wow me from the start, I ain't watchin' it.

But now I'm totally hooked on a show that has plenty of episodes to keep me going. You might have heard me say that I'm about 20 billion years behind on movies and tv. This is no exception. I'm now officially addicted to Battlestar Galactica. No, not the old one with Dirk Benedict, but the one that debuted in 2005ish and is already officially cancelled. Like I said, 20 billion years behind.

My fingers have been flying on the needles since I started watching this. Unfortunately, I have to only watch this at either naptimes or after the kids have gone to bed. There's just too much mature crap going on for an 8 and 3 year old to be watching it. But man, is it ever good. How did I miss this when it came out? Oh yeah, that's right, no cable. I'm hoping to remedy that real soon.