Monday, October 06, 2008

Sort of Jogless Stripes

I'm still working on my Tubey sweater. I didn't do a whole lot of knitting over the weekend, but I did do some. Specifically, I started on the stripes section of the first sleeve.

I wanted to try the "Jogless" stripes where the striping is even and doesn't have really noticeable transitions. I got close, but not as close as I would have liked.

I used the following method that I borrowed from the blog, TECHknitting.

1. Started the new color as I normally would and then knit around one time.
2. Next round, I slipped the first stitch of the new color and then knit around.
3. Then knit around all the other rows for as many as called for.

Now, when I am not doing color changes and I join a ball of yarn, I usually use spit splicing so that there is no obvious join. I didn't do that in this case and probably should have. I just knit the two colors together for one stitch and then dropped the old color and continued with the new. I'm not sure if that would have made a difference though. Here is what I got:



Blocking will help, but there's got to be a way to do this cleaner. I tightened the first stitch that was knit with the two colors before weaving in the ends. It's possible that I did it too much or maybe not enough, I'm not sure. Maybe changing the tension there would help.

This is the first time that I've tried stripes in sweaters. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Once it's on, it won't be noticeable since the joins will be facing towards the side of the body, but I'd like to get it right on the body of the sweater.