Monday, September 29, 2008

Better Now!

I am now back in the land of the living. The whole household spent the weekend lounging around and being sick together. Wasn't a lot of fun really, especially with the hubby. He turns in to the biggest "woe is me" baby you've ever seen when he gets sick.

I did do some cat stacking though:




I also came to a few conclusions, mainly about the W sweater:

This project is now headed for the frog pile. If I ever decide to do another sweater that is knit side to side with short rows - please just shoot me.

Things that went wrong:

  1. The yarn chosen was incorrect for the pattern. Evidently it was not meant to be used for sweaters of this type. Something more drape-y and less bulky would be good for this pattern. This yarn would be better suited to hats or afghans.

  2. The finished edges were way too untidy and ugly in my opinion.

  3. The v-neck front came down way too low and the fabric was actually too stretchy.

The short rows were actually easy and I didn’t mind doing them. What I did dislike was not being able to try the sweater on as I went so that I could adjust for fit. Definitely will not be making this pattern again.


I also started some sweater de-constructing. I have this old sweater, and when I say old, I do mean old. It still had shoulder pads! Anyway, it's very soft and I want to rework it somehow. So I began taking it apart. It's taking forever. It's very tiny 2 ply yarn, lace weight-ish. I was going to make a shawl with it, but I think that I'm going to split it into 1 ply and make it go further and use it to ply some of my other hand spun yarn with it.

Take a gander at what's in it:
30% Cotton
22% Nylon
20% Rayon
13% Lambswool
10% Angora Rabbit
5% Cashmere

Now are you getting how soft it is? Who knows if it really does have cashmere in it, I don't, but I also don't care. I'm going to overdye it from soft dove gray to something happier and ply that stuff up.

I've also cast on for a new sweater but I'll tell you more about that tomorrow!



2 comments:

  1. Have you been to stuffonmycat.com? You'd love it!
    Sorry about the dreaded man cold. I hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cat stacking is too funny. Did the youngest see you do this?
    Good luck with the deconstruction. It does look like soft yummy yarn. You must have the patience of a saint.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete