Monday, February 18, 2008

Pig-Pickin' in South Carolina

The weekend was fun. The Eldest and I went to a family reunion/"Pig-Pickin'" in Florence, South Carolina. This was my Dad's family who I didn't know growing up. I didn't meet most of them until I was married and had one child. I took all my family genealogy stuff with me, but did little research while there. We just didn't have enough time and some of the key people that I need to speak with weren't there due to family health problems.

It took us 5 hours to get there. I got some more done on the Circular Shrug. I got about 16 rows done. It doesn't sound like much does it? But multiply it by 120 sts per row and you'll understand that it took a while. I was only able to work in the car for a couple of hours each way, so that is all I managed to accomplish. I am already very tired of doing rib and mock rib though. I am ready to be finished with this project already!

Besides the knitting, which I had to knock off after a couple of hours due to sore hands, this is what I had to look at during the drive:

DSCF0007

Obviously The Eldest was not the best conversationalist on the ride up.

Anyway, back to the Pig-Pickin'. They had cooked a big hog on a humongous grill and it was quite tasty. The hog weighed around 138 pounds! The turnout was a bit of a disappointment. Only about a third of the people that were there last year showed up this year. I did get to wear my new Bella Paquita sweater though, so that was one consolation. :)

On Sunday, we took a drive out to the sticks (which is most of the area to be truthful - lotsa farmland) to see if we could find where the old family farm was and to find a couple of the homes my Dad lived in as a young child.

We found the remains of what was once his Grandmother's house:

(I always told my Dad he came from trash and there's my proof, a huge pile of trash!) Seriously though, it always makes me sad when I pass by old homes that the owners have let delapidate. She was incredibly poor, so I guess noone wanted to do anything with what was essentially a shack by the time my g-grandmother inherited it. She died in the early 1940's.

It was cool to be able to find it though. At one time this was part of a plantation that had 450 acres of land and that was after the Civil War. Now why couldn't someone have taken care of and held onto all that land so that I could inherit it? Why?

1 comment:

  1. people don't realize how important their history can be, do they? and sometimes they are short sighted and can see only the $$$ that the sale of an asset brings. we have (bought from relatives at quite a premium) 11.6 acres of what was once 1000 acres of my husband's family home.

    ReplyDelete