Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Why ME? rant

Why ME? Why do I get stuck in long lines with older men who feel compelled to tell me their life stories? For the second time in recent history (see here for the first) , I had to sit and listen to this older dude tell me the following:

1. "Oh, you live over on ******* street. Well, let me tell you, I was one of the people that framed your house. As a matter of fact, I framed all the houses in that neighborhood."

2. "I live over on **** street for 27 years. Yep, 27 years until my wife decided she wanted a divorce and kept the house. Yessir, I had just got that house completely paid for and then I had to go and start payin' on another house. My daughter and her boy live there too. It's over back behind the high school. We watch the kids run track and play football over there all the time."

3. "My grandson is five. He's going to be in kindergarten at ***** school. We thought about going to ***** school, but decided that ***** school was closer."

Now, I'm all for being friendly. I like meeting people, really, I do. But, there's a limit to how much I want to find out about them at the first meeting. Are these folks just that lonely or just that dumb? I mean, what if I was a spy, a home burglary expert, or a child kidnapper even? I've just learned your life story, where you live, where your ex-wife lives, where your grandchild lives, that you have a grandson going to X school. These people are ripe for pickin'. Scary.

But seriously, why me? Do I have a huge sign on my forehead that says "If you're over 55, please, tell me your life story while you waste an hour of your time in line?"
blog comments powered by Disqus