Thursday, August 05, 2010

In Hindsight

So there I was, knitting happily away on my new shawl, Summer Flies (Ravelry link) by Donna Griffin, without a care in the world.  I had finished Section 5 already, the shawl was really flying off the needles and guess what?  I looked down at my creation and thought, "It's looking kinda small."  Uh-Oh.

2010_08050002


Guess what jumped up and bit me on the behind again?  GAUGE.  Darnit.

Most of the time when I'm making a lace project, I don't do a gauge swatch and didn't do it this time either.  But this time, I really screwed up by not making that swatch.  Here's why:

1.  I'm not using standard yarn for this project.  I'm using recycled yarn from a Lands End, Men's XXL sweater that I unraveled a while back.  Therefore, my gauge will probably (and is) way off.  But it's pretty isn't it?  A dark heathered green.

2.  This is supposed to fit around my shoulders.  It's a shawlette, pretty small one too.  So it should have been treated more as a sweater.  Yeah. Should.

Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?  I have to go unravel this yarn a second time now.  I'm getting good at that.
blog comments powered by Disqus