Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Perfect Greenapple

I picked up a new project for my trip to South Carolina, Stephanie Japel's Perfect Periwinkle from her book Fitted Knits.   Except it's not periwinkle, it's more of a greenapple and it's not done in wool, it's cotton.  I mean, who in their right mind would want a tank top in wool?  Especially here in the Deep South? It gets a little hot and humid here ya know.

Here's the progress so far:


I almost feel sorry for Ms. Japel.  There are mistakes in  the beginning of the pattern and there is errata out there for it.  Unfortunately, the errata still doesn't clear up all the confusion.  Reviews on Ravelry have not been particularly kind about all the mistakes.  I wonder if the mistakes on the designer's side or if the problem happened at the publisher?  

Once past the mistakes, it's not a difficult pattern at all, very simple and very sexy when worked up.  I'm really liking it as a matter of fact and can't wait to wear it.  I'm using Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton! for the yarn in the Sage colorway, but I think it looks more like Jolly Ranchers green apple candy myself.  

I modified the neck.  It's supposed to be a 5 inch turtleneck and I made it 3 inches so that it's more of a mock turtleneck.   The heat and humidity thing, remember?   No other modifications other than correcting the pattern and errata mistakes so far.  The project is young yet though.  I'm sure other mods will creep their way in sooner or later.