Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fresh Pasta!

I spent my afternoon making fresh pasta! 

My Mom and I went thrift store shopping one afternoon and found a pasta maker.  It had oodles of attachments, a manual and a video for $12.50.  We figured, what the heck, let's give it a try.  So home it went.  One of the neat things about this machine is the different pasta attachments.  I can make so many different  shapes and sizes.

I found that there's a little bit of a learning curve and at one point I almost pitched the whole thing into the trash can.  It was supposed to come with a special measuring cup that tells you exactly how much liquid to mix with the flour.  Of course, it was missing,  but I persevered until I figured out the mix by trial and error (2 parts flour to a little less than 1 part liquid) and look:



I made pasta!

This is so cool.  I've never made fresh pasta before and it tasted fantastic.  I'm going to go make up another couple of batches tonight and freeze it.  It'll keep for up to 6 months in the freezer, but there's no way that this is going to sit in there for that long.  It got a huge thumbs up from the kiddos too.  Nice.