Friday, March 19, 2010

The Dreaded Third Sock Syndrome

Just when you think all is going your way, Murphy shows up.  I had finished 7/8's of my second Sidewinders sock.  I tried it on.  It was way too tight.  I'm not sure if I left off a couple of rows or if my grafting was too tight and had no give.  Perhaps a combination of both.  But that's not the worst of it.

I continued to push my foot through it, like a royal dummy, and guess what happened? 

A De-Freakin'-Disaster happened:




The grafting gave way and broke in the middle.  Stitches came undone and began running for the hills.

At this point, I don't know what to do.  Even if I fix the stitches ( I caught the little buggers by the way) I still have to contend with the grafting line being broken and that creates a real weak spot in the sock.  Oh, and lest we forget, the stupid thing is already too tight.

I'm considering frogging the whole d@mn thing and beginning it again.  It's too tight anyway, a few more rows would definitely help.  But I can't think of that right now.  It's just too overwhelming.  It's going into the WIP pile to live over the weekend while I consider what to do.

I really don't want to do this sock a third time.  Oh No!  It's the dreaded Third Sock Syndrome!  ACK! 

I'm going out of town to a family reunion this weekend and taking a new project altogether.  I need something new to clear away the little black rain cloud that's flying over my head.

Have a great weekend!