Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Observations

A couple of things I'd like to mention about today's presidential inauguration:

I thought the bobbling of the Presidential Oath by the Chief Justice and the President was delightful. The Chief Justice reversed the order of some of the words of the oath and it briefly threw off Obama's response. I'm delighted because it shows that they're both human and can make mistakes like the rest of us.

During the ceremony though, I was less than delighted by Aretha Franklin's rendition of My Country Tis of Thee. While I enjoy Aretha singing Soul music, I found her version of the song to be the equal of a tooth needing a root canal. Jarringly yelled, not reverently sung.

Three presidents ago, I attended the Inauguration of George W. Bush Sr. I was honored to be able to participate by marching in the Inaugural Parade with the Auburn University Marching Band. While it was an honor to be there, it was absolutely miserable. The temps were freezing and I was crying by the end of the 5 mile parade. I feel both happiness and sympathy for the poor kids who will be doing this again today. I'm very glad to be watching the events from home while snuggled in my armchair in my nice toasty house knitting something that I wish I had had during that parade approximately 20 years ago:


A nice wool scarf. Back then I was just wishing I could get some booze. My how times age us, huh?