Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Black Rose

I promised you a new dye project didn't I? Well, here it is.

I wanted to experiment with some Kool-aid dyeing. I still had some of the black/white wool/mohair roving to play with so I grabbed that. I used it all, 11 oz. of it.

I knew wanted a dark red, but I also knew I didn't have enough of the red koolaid packets to go around, so I did some experimenting. The rule of thumb is one packet to 1 0z of roving or yarn. This is what I used:

2 grape, 2 black cherry, 1 strawberry, 1 tropical punch, 1 cherry, 1 watermelon cherry.

I wasn't at all sure what would come out, but hoped for the best. It didn't turn out red, but I got the most gorgeous rose ever!
Black Rose Colorway

Pre-drafted

Look how it softens up when it's predrafted. So pretty!

This was done on the stove top. I soaked the roving in water and vinegar before beginning. I then placed it in the pot, I had already mixed the packets with water and dumped those in as well. I added water to cover and then simmered it all for about 40 minutes. I didn't stir it once it went in the pot for two reasons: I was afraid of felting it and I didn't want it completely uniform. I like uneven colorways. It makes the magic of spinning it up so much more fun. Then I turned off the pot and left it to cool for several hours.

This is the first time that I've had wet sheep fur that didn't smell like wet sheep fur. The kool-aid made it smell so much better! I can't wait to get started spinning this!

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty - it is going to be gorgeous spun up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! It will be beautiful when you spin and knit it.
    Thanks for the compliments on my shawl! Come visit anytime!

    ReplyDelete