Saturday, September 29, 2007

Knitting and Gray Hair

The classic stereotype of knitters is that we are all grannies and that we must have gray hair in order to knit. Well, it's partially true. I am not a granny yet, but I am getting a huge amount of gray hair. Not caused by knitting, no. But by this Lil' Guy, the Youngest:

Can you see what he's doing? Right, reaching for stuff on the counter.
Now, picture a different day, different outfit on this deceptively adorable child. Got it in your mind? I cut up some peaches for him the other morning. The peeling and the knife were on a paper towel right where I left them, safe way up on the counter. Or, rather, where I thought they were safe.

So, I put him in front of Blues Clues (can you tell he likes Blues Clues? Properly pronouced "Bwues Cwues") and went to sit in my desk chair and proceeded to check out my favorite morning sites. I hear him behind me. I look over. And just about KEEL OVER. He had the steak knife (with a serrated edged no less). He wasn't just holding it, OHHHH no. The pointy end was in his mouth, serrated edge up and he was CHEWING on it!!!

You know how when you get so scared you can't move and your stomach drops down to somewhere below your knees? Yeah, that's what I felt. I couldn't yell or scream for fear of him cutting himself. I froze for a second before leaping out of the chair to grab the knife.

He's fine, not one little knick or cut. I, on the other hand, now have 50% more gray hair than I did.

Trust me, this pic is much cuter than the real thing. It's not running, climbing, yelling "no", trying to hit people, chewing knives or giving his mother gray hair.

I found time this morning to knit a small swatch of the yarn that I will be using to make my Dad some Hunting/Boot Socks. This will be part of his Christmas Present. It's a beautiful worsted Deep Olive Tweed from Patons Classic Wool Merino. It has some lovely bits of orange, yellow, pumpkin and bright orange in it.

When I make myself socks, I don't usually swatch since I do them toe up and try on as I go. But my Dad's feet are not here and I don't have exact measurements. So, I have to go on a formula and that means I need to swatch and measure. I've swatched, washed and blocked, but it's not dry enough for measuring yet.


I loved the way this looked on the yarn swift. Look at all those little bits of color!

Oh! my Colrain Yarn came in late yesterday. Yeah! I actually made my bed so that I would have a place to take a pic of it for you. Of course, I didn't make it the way my Mom or Hubby would. They spend way too much time making it perfect. In my opinion, the proper way to make a bed is to leave the sheets all wadded up, then take a thick comforter and cover the mess up. This won't really work with a thin comforter, you can see the lumps beneath it. Big, thick and fluffy is the way to go. Pull it up and Presto! Bed is made.

P.S. - Don't tell Mom! She really did try her best to teach me the "right" way to make a bed, bless her little heart.

blog comments powered by Disqus