I took a stab at making some fabric baskets today. I used Jesse's pattern from over at her JezzePrints blog.
Here's how my first one turned out:
This is a really nice pattern. It didn't make near as much sense while I was reading through it as it did once I started making it. My next few will hopefully look a lot better with neater, straighter edges. This was my first time making one of the baskets, but I plan on making a lot more.
I used basic card stock inside the folded edges and it was plenty stiff enough to hold the edges straight. As a matter of fact, if you look very closely, you can see it trying to pop out of the bottom just a bit.
As usual, this took me way longer that it should have due to dumb sewing mistakes. Sewing is not my forte. However, if sewing is not my forte, then seam ripping must be. I'm getting really good at that. I'm hoping that one day when I'm all grown up that I'll be able to follow directions. The fabric used was leftover from one of these skirts that I made last summer.
Here it is in action in a cubby above my desk:
It just fits which was totally not planned. What you can't see in the pic is all the crap that I took out of the cubbies to make it look like I"m a minimalist neat freak. In fact, I'm the exact opposite, less minimalist, more Clutter 'R Us.
I'm off to make more baskets now. I've got a lot more cubbies to fill if I"m ever going to hide all my sins.