Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Flea Market

We got up really early this morning to go to a nearby flea market.  The locals all get there at around 5:30 am (rural Alabama time) and carry flashlights until it's light enough to see.  We didn't make it there that early though.  Sleep was more fun at that hour.

My city boys were very excited about the whole thing.  They got to pet lots of puppies that were for sale and they got to pet some chickens!  The old guy selling the chickens took out a young teenager type chicken and showed the boys how to put one to sleep.  It was very funny.  He held it and rubbed its head and it was like magic watching the chicken go to sleep.  We used to put baby rabbits to sleep when I was little at my Grandparents house (they raised them for food.)  My brother and I would get a baby rabbit each, flip them on their backs and pet them and out they'd go.  So cute. 

Next up on our outing, the boys got some snow cones.  Oh boy!  They both agreed the trip was definitely worth getting up early for.   It's funny.  What I grew up around and find commonplace, they find fascinating.  Definitely city kids. 
blog comments powered by Disqus