Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mother Necessity

The Eldest decided that he wanted to be a Lego Minifig for Halloween.  If you are not familiar with the term Minifig, it's short for mini-figure.  Basically, it's a Lego Person.   I did a lot of online research and decided to emulate these guys and their costumes.

The first problem that I ran into is that the 3 inch thick styrofoam sheets are not to be had in my area.  But, I did find some 3/4" thick ones that I gorilla glued together and it worked like a charm.

The second problem was cutting the styrofoam.  I didn't have anything near me that would cut this stuff neatly.  Or did I?

Mother Necessity is a wonderful DIY deity and she showered me with her blessing in the form of a, wait for it,
- A bread knife.  Yes, I said a bread knife.  I wasn't that worried about dulling the blade (and styrofoam will definitely dull the heck out of a blade) because I haven't used it for it's intended purpose in years anyway.  That wonderful tool went through that styrofoam like buttah and with a minimum of mess!

2010_10120010


The circle isn't perfect, but that's my fault, not the knife's.  I'm not worried a bit about it since it doesn't have to be perfect anyway.  We'll be covering it with posterboard and joint compound and then spray painting it a Lego yellow.  So it really does not have to be perfect at this stage. 

Who really needs proper power tools anyway?  Kitchen tools rule!
blog comments powered by Disqus